Sunday, February 22, 2009

Voltage from a Fan

li
So I was playing with my previously mentioned computer fan when it randomly started lighting up. I had placed the two contacts of the positive and negative terminals together and place the xion fan in front of a larger more powerful fan and the LEDs inside began to flicker. The reason is the small solenoid on the inside of the fan with a round bar magnet inside of it. When the magnet began to spin the change in area and theta of the magnet caused the current in the fan to move. By hand I could not light it up because the fan moved too slowly. Even with the fan it only slightly lit up. LEDs dont require much voltage and have very low resistance so the current produced by spinning the fan was very, very minisucle. Unfortunately the light in my room makes it very hard to see but if you look very carefully at the corners of the fan, its slighly glowing (mostly the bottom left corner)

Thanks for reading,
Mark.

No comments: