Sunday, September 21, 2008

Elevators

I took this picture while riding the elevator at Ward Center the other day. While riding it down, my body seemed to feel lighter, yet the force my body exerted to the ground never changed. The normal force pushed back less because I was accelerating downwards. Then after accelerating I felt normal because my weight and normal force was equal as shown in the picture. The elevator is not accelerating in any direction, so the net force is zero. In that case W=N when acceleration=0. When I was going down my net fore was not zero it was positive in downward direction because, a = positive downward. So the equation would be W-N=m(downward acceleration). Because of these factors I felt lighter, normal, and heavier as I accelerated, maintained speed, and decelerated. In my picture I am maintaining speed and demonstrating what the free body diagram would look like in this case. Equal normal force and weight force, as I am not accelerating in any direction.

Thanks for reading, Mark.

No comments: